Thursday, May 20, 2004

Soil Science

Major construction is under way at our house. The new deck is finished, let the landscaping begin! The moon bed is full of weeds, the raised bed has a new rack of wood retaining walls but no new soil amendments, the herb bed is still a good idea covered by the old brick patio. I stand at my kitchen window and consider what do I want to see? How do I want to watch the seasons pass, especially with my primary orientation being vegetable gardening. But there are shade beds and two new cherry trees to plant in the extremely fertile spot where the compost pile and comfrey now live.

How does one think of landscape and view in a space that is framed by our neighbors’ fences, our own driveway and the backs of other people’s garages? What do we do with such a small space when our aspirations are Ohio sized quarter acre lots? Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments on any topic covered in Urban Ecology. I may not respond immediately but I do read them all.